Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fingerless Mittens and Birthdays

Hey! It's April 26th! That means it's my birthday! And my sister's too!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO US!

Where's the Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Peanut Butter Icing? I'll have a piece after this post, thanks!

In my last post I said I was going to do Martha Stewart's fingerless mittens as my next project. I am actually done with three pairs now! They work up THAT fast!

That and I am THAT lazy about blogging, I guess. I can't believe that was just my last post before this one. It feels so long ago.


Slacker.


Here is an "in-progress shot" of the first pair I made.

the red is where the thumb goes later

I did a pair for myself first. I figured if I was going to screw up working in the round for the first time ever, then I'd better do it on something I was going to keep. To begin I did these one at a time. Oh, and I am using magic loop rather than double pointed needles. I watched a video online on how to work with dpn's and frankly, it scared me. Four needles flopping all around, the knitter was working really fast too and I couldn't tell how she joined the stitches... it was enough to tell me I couldn't do "in the round" projects that way. Mainly because I don't knit tight enough that the needles would just stay where I left them. They most certainly would fall out, and then I'd be left with a mess and frustration. But then I found a video explaining how to do magic loop, and it saved the day. I'll tell you more about magic loop later, in another post.

The next two pair of fingerless mittens that I made I did two at a time. What fun! Unfortunately they flew off my knitting needles and I didn't have time to get in-progress photos. Of either pair. Can you believe it?

yes, I'm sure you can.

a pair for Mom, a pair for Pam and a pair for me!

I really enjoyed making these. They're so simple and so fast. Especially when doing them two at a time. If you know anyone whose wrists need warmed, I would definitely recommend these.



Now bring on the birthday cake coma.



xxx


p.s. What do you think of the bigger pictures? Too big? 

No comments: