Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Evolution of a Mitten

A crocheted decorative cutesy mitten, that is.

I started off with a pattern for a regular mitten. The pattern was written for baby size (24 months), child size, medium and large. I started with the baby size.

baby sized indeed, it's just 4inches tall!

But I thought that I wanted it a little different proportions. Wider, or shorter. So I tried the child size (with a few modifications).

child sized

That was better, but the thumb looked a little funky, and I thought I wanted it bigger. It is still just 4 inches tall. So back to the hook again, and I got this...

3rd attempt...

But that wasn't right either! Now it was too round. It looked like a balloon mitten. Still not right. The more I look at the second attempt, the more I think that was the right shape. Too bad I didn't keep the exact instructions of how I made that one. But that's ok, I'll just try again!

 Latest attempt

Here it is. Same basic proportions as the 2nd attempt, just a little bit bigger. It's almost 4 1/2 inches tall. These instructions I'll keep! Now I have to decide what I want to do with these cute little things. Gift tags at Christmas? Ornaments? I could make very tiny ones and make pins. I could string a whole bunch together as a garland! ooh, I like that idea. I could make a bunch in different sizes, a graduated garland! A wreath, I could make a wreath of little mittens...

Hmm...looks like I'll have to get more yarn.


oh darn.


***tee hee hee!***

.

No comments: