Wednesday, January 11, 2012

January Blues

The holidays are over. I'm taking down the decorations this week. That always makes me sad, removing the lights, the cheer.

The January Blues.

Though the punks in the neighborhood seem to have forgotten what day it is. They're acting like it is New Year's Eve again and setting off their fire crackers. Not the ones with the pretty displays of lights high in the sky... the obnoxious ones that just produce a huge echoing bang. They think they're so cool. Hmpf.

I've been doing a lot of knitting lately. Here's some newly finished socks:


They turned out pretty good. I did this pair two-at-a-time, so I don't have the problem of one sock being larger than the other one! That's a good thing, right? The heel looks a little funny in the photo above, but they fit nicely. yay! I might take a break from socks though. By the end of these, I had finishitis. I couldn't wait for them to be done.

I am also working on a capelet of sorts. I am always cold this time of year, so I wanted some sort of poncho/cape/warm covering. I didn't want anything complicated, I'm sort of just winging it.

cabled capelet

It's a light pink, almost peachy, kind of skin-tone pink. I put a 4x4 rib on the bottom, just to keep it from rolling up. It's knitting up much more quickly than I imagined it would, too. Since it's so big, I'm able to do it in the round. That means no adjusting the loops (like you have to do with Magic Loop), you just knit around and around and around. Every now and then doing a cable stitch. I thought for sure I'd get bored with this project, doing the same stitch on the entire thing, but I am kind of enjoying the mind numbingness of it. Maybe that's why it's going so quickly.  I'll eventually do a kind of raglan shoulder on it to decrease at the top. I'm curious to see it finished!

I'm also working on a cowl for my mom, but since it's a birthday gift for her (that she requested), I can't show it here yet. After she gets it, I'll post it here!

So that is how I've been dealing with my January Blues. Knitting up a storm.

What do you do to beat these dark depressing days?


xxx

No comments: