Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Electric Blue

Whoa.

It’s a good thing I decided to hand wash my socks after I wore them instead of just throwing them in with the rest of the laundry. These socks.

My ribby stitch socks

They kinda bled while washing.

pretty, huh?

The water was so blue. Like Kool-Aid blue. Electric blue. I don’t know if it would have made everything else in that load of laundry blue too, but I’m glad I didn’t have to find out.

Side note on these socks: They’re huge. I wore them, and by the end of the day they came off my foot with my slippers. Easily.

How do sock knitters do it? How do they make socks that actually fit? Do they just make a whole lot of them first? I knew in theory that if socks were made a little smaller than you thought they should be, that’d be better, but I didn’t think that was the reason. That the socks stretched out so badly when you wear them. I did so many tests too, before knitting my first pair. But none of them were actually wearable as socks. Maybe that’s where I went wrong. I was just trying to figure out how many stitches to go around my foot. Not really knowing how those stitches would translate into wearability.

Sigh. Perhaps I am not meant to be a sock knitter. There are so many cool patterns out there for socks, and I keep looking at them thinking “ooh, I’d like those!” but... my results are just not satisfying. They are at first! I’d bind off the cuff and thing “Hey! They are sock shaped! YES!!!” But then I wear them, and then it goes downhill. Do I keep trying? Ending up with a whole bunch of socks that are kind of unwearable? Is that what all good (experienced) sock knitters have? A drawer full of bad socks?

I need more practice.


Read: moar yarn!


xxx

No comments: