Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

Happy 4th everyone!

photo courtesy of AmericanGreetings.com

What I like about the 4th of July:
  • Fireworks
  • Cookout food
  • Fireworks
  • Strawberry Shortcake

Yep, fireworks is on there twice. That's how much I like them. I have really great memories of going to local firework displays at home with my sister and friend. We had a pact to try to always be home at 4th of July so we could go see the fireworks. Sadly I haven't been able to make it the last few years (it's kind of a long commute). Some day we'll take a vacation in July. Some day.

For some reason I always think of having strawberry shortcake at this holiday. Maybe because the fruit is at it’s peak? Whatever the reason, I can remember family bbqs and requesting specifically this dessert. And I make it here. In the Netherlands. Where they don’t celebrate America’s Independence Day.

Here it’s just Monday.

That and the last week of school for kids. So they’re celebrating something at least.

Time to go make some biscuits. Maybe I’ll go all fancy and make them in a star shape. In honor of the holiday and all.

Enjoy your family bbq/cookouts!


xxx

No comments: