Friday, January 29, 2010

A blanket for Hannah

It's Friday afternoon here. The week went pretty fast for some reason. Maybe because I had to switch my work schedule around to accommodate the furnace repair people coming. It was time for the "yearly" checkup. I put yearly in quotes because though the card they sent in the mail with the appointment date SAID yearly, they actually come twice a year (winter and summer). Maybe they don't have a word equal to "bi-annual"? (That's twice a year, right? Not every other year?) But they've come and gone already today, so the rest of the afternoon is all mine! woohoo! What shall I do? So many choices...

I recently started to crochet. Well, not so recently. I think it was last April or May. Recent enough, though. It's turned into a real habit. I'm hooked! ha ha, terrible pun. I started off wanting to do a snowflake garland like Martha's, but I figured I should start with something a little easier first. My cousin Katie and her husband Rich were expecting a baby, so a baby blanket was my very first "big" project. Hannah Marie Vines was born November 5, 2009. The blanket has now been delivered, so I can finally post some pictures of it!

 I of course didn't measure it to give you a size.

a close up of the circles

I didn't know at the time if they were having a boy or a girl, so I picked semi-neutral colors. I didn't want to do greens and yellows, but found these great colors. They probably aren't traditional baby colors, but does that matter? The yarn is Phildar Aviso (60% cotton, 40% acrylic), an nice soft yarn that should be warm for Hannah's first few months in cold Germany! Hopefully she is enjoying it.

I have so many other crochet projects going right now too. Blankets, scarves, pillows. And I keep coming up with more ideas that I want to create. It's an addiction, that's for sure. As I finish things I'll show them to you. The project I'm working most on right now is a scarf that will be a gift, so unfortunately I can't show you pictures of it yet. Once it's been gifted, I'll show it off.

So maybe I'll fill my free afternoon with hooky goodness. I hope you have a wonderful day wherever you are!

No comments: