Friday, May 14, 2010

Germany Trip: Part 2

Hello again! How have you all been doing? I hope everyone is well! We're good here. I'm enjoying another one of MY Days. Yesterday, May 13th, was a holiday here for most folks. It's called Hemelvaart here, and in English it's Ascension. And it's a national holiday here. Go figure! Since it's always on a Thursday, we (well, some of us) get the Friday after it off too. That sounds okay to me!

I've been putzing around, doing a little cleaning, a little hooking (crochet, folks! Crochet!!!),  and a little websurfing. I'm looking for yarns for my Next Big Project. I can't find exactly what I'm looking for but I'm sure whatever I do find will work well enough. All in all I'm just enjoying my MY Day. This might be the last one for a while. Work has approved me to do some more hours. Yippee! I was enjoying my free time, but I can't do that forever, right? Reality has to come around sooner or later.

Hmm...I haven't done that second post of our Germany trip pictures, have I? Well, goodness, I'm a slacker. Let's get that taken care of right now, shall we?

On the last day of our trip, we wanted to do something a little lighter than what we had done the previous days (visiting concentration camps). So we went to visit the town of Weimer. Here are some facts about the town:
  • It's a very old town. Oldest records date back to 899.
  • It was the capital of Germany before WWII.
  • Weimer (along with Dessau) was the center of the Bauhaus movement
We walked through the city center, mainly. We saw the palace of Karl August, Grand Duke of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. 

palace gates

Take note of the floor under the arch...

it's wood!

Bet you never woulda guessed that, huh? Me neither! From a distance, it looks like normal bricks, but up close, you can see the growth rings. I have no idea why anyone would use wood there. Can anyone enlighten me?

Behind the palace was a bridge over a little river.

you can see the palace on the left

At the end of the bridge were stairs leading down to the path beside the river. But under the bridge, in the 3rd and last arch, there was a little doorway. You can sort of see it in the above picture.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes," 
by Marcel Proust (a French novelist). 

You can see the stairs leading into the bridge. They lead into the right hand side oval cut out (seen in the picture of the whole bridge). I was feeling adventurous, so I climbed up.

the cute couple

It didn't really give me a new perspective on things (like the quote might suggest), but it did give us a cute picture. I love the view over our shoulders, the other side of the river.

Just off the palace grounds is the city park. This is where Goethe's garden house was. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but it was decorated to look almost the same as it was when he lived there.

early spring at Goethe's Garden House

It looks a little plain now, but I imagine in the summer when all the flowers are blooming it's a beautiful spot. Especially if some sort of climbing flower grows up all the sides of the house (as the lattice everywhere indicates).

anemone - ground cover throughout the park

It was a nice day in Weimer. And a good way to end the trip to Germany.


xxx

No comments: