Thursday, November 17, 2011

House Plant Help?

I need a little help today. To be accurate, my plant needs help.

I only have one house plant. I don't have much of a green thumb, so I tend to steer clear of living plants. But this one I've had for a while now. It was doing so well over the summer too. Growing like a weed. Ha! Some people might consider it a weed. It's an ivy plant (no, I don't know which one specifically), so when left on it's own outside, I've noticed it certainly can take over (makes a great ground cover, though).

But my little plant has recently started getting some yellow leaves.

yellowing leaves at the bottom

The rest of the plant is still perfectly green, but The Yellow is slowly creeping up. It started with just the one big leaf to the left, and then it traveled. And I've also noticed the stripes on the ... uhh... stem? Stalk? Whatever that main trunk thing is called. That's also new.

So what's going on with my poor little ivy? This only started happening recently, like a week and a half ago. Am I watering too much? Not enough? Is it too cold on the windowsill (it sat there all last winter though too, and this didn't happen)?

Just before The Yellow first started, I did do a heavy watering. Maybe it was too cold then? Maybe it was too much for it, for winter time? I'm assuming there is a growing season and a dormant season for this kind of plant, even if it is indoors?

What did I do wrong? And how can I fix it? Do I need to replant it? Is it dying? Is it a lost cause? Should I take clippings and try to root them, and give up on the main plant?

If I do try to root some clippings, can I just stick them in water? Do I have to have special water?

Help me, Obi Wan Gardener. You're my only hope.


xxx

No comments: